Sunday, April 20, 2008

I need a more powerful tractor!

My John Deere 5420 is rated at 66 HP at the PTO (where the 7 foot rotary mower is attached).

If everything worked as planned I could mow about 3 acres/hour at a ground speed of 4 miles/hour with appropriate allowances for turning and cut overlap. Yesterday I was only able to achieve about 2 acres/hour. The field grass and guava were just too much for the machine to handle any faster.

The turbocharged version of my tractor (5520) is rated at 76 HP and the current year model (5625) is rated at 82 HP.

On the other hand, if I just mowed a bit more often, the grass and the guava wouldn't be so tall...

Another interesting factoid - the tractor consumes about 4 gallons of diesel per hour when working that hard so I'm using about 2 gallons of diesel to clear an acre (now at $4.609 a gallon).

Today's goal is about 8 acres. I better get started.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's only four hours of work. You can handle it. ;)

And shouldn't that title be, "I WANT a more powerful tractor"?