Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mrs. Kitchens

I'm not sure where my family fit into "society". On the edge I'd guess. After all Edmund G. Brown, governor of the State of California lived a few blocks away and his son, Jerry Brown attended my grammar school. Casper Weinberger's mom lived next door.

So I went to Mrs. Kitchens after school during 7Th and 8Th grades (I think). Mrs. Kitchens was a co-ed "finishing school". We learned a bit about dancing, Waltz and Fox Trot. We learned about opening doors. We learned where to walk on a sidewalk - guy on the curb side. We learned which fork to use. All the necessary social graces. I got the impression that the girls were serious about this stuff and the boys were there because they had to be.

This was all "before women's lib' " so this stuff was considered appropriate and even necessary. It was also a way for the people in society to meet each other. Mike was good at this stuff and the contacts stayed with him. I wasn't good at this and I can't remember any of the names of the people who were there. After grammar school (8Th grade) schools were segregated - not by race, but by gender. I guess this was the last organized chance to meet people.

No comments: