Friday, April 11, 2008

Multiple Choice Exams.

I've taken lots and lots of multiple choice exams. Do or Die high school entrance exam, most of my tests in high school, PSAT (several times), SAT, entrance exam for the California Maritime Academy (to keep a scared neighbor company), lots of tests in college, GRE, PhD qualifying exams etc.



The result of all of that "training" taught me that you either know the answer to a question or you don't. If you don't know the answer either guess or move on. But that misses an important point, if you don't know the answer you can figure it out or look it up etc. with enough effort and time. Multiple choice exams never rewarded the ability to study or work out the answer during the exam. Accomplish something with persistent and sustained effort? That is a new concept that I'm beginning to learn as I try to remove 100 acres of pest guava.

No comments: